[slime-devel] SLIME hangs mysteriously when compiling CL-PPCRE

Edi Weitz edi at agharta.de
Fri May 21 19:46:56 UTC 2004

Hi!

This is with the current CVS SLIME (update a couple of minutes ago),
GNU Emacs 21.3.50 from CVS (about a month ago), CMUCL 18e, and the
current (0.7.7) CL-PPCRE on Linux x86. I can reproduce the problem
like this:

1. Remove all FASL file (*.x86f) related to CL-PPCRE.

2. From a fresh Emacs start SLIME and then load the system CL-PPCRE.

3. CL-PPCRE is compiled but the REPL prompt never comes back. Instead,
   Emacs starts to use 99% of the CPU and is completely unresponsive,
   I have to kill it with xkill.

I can compile CL-PPCRE from the command line without
problems. Furthermore, this doesn't happen if CL-PPCRE is already
compiled and has just to be loaded.

I suspect this happens while SLIME tries to interpret CMUCL's compiler
notes but I currently have no idea how to debug this.

Cheers,
Edi.