[slime-devel] Re: *query-io*

Loyd Fueston l.fueston at att.net
Mon May 17 19:44:32 UTC 2004

Gabor Melis <mega at hotpop.com> writes:

> Reading a line from *query-io* two makes the next read-line return an empty
> string. Tested under cmucl/sbcl-mt with sigio/spawn.
>
> CL-USER> (foo)
> 1
> 2
> ("1" "" "2")
>
> Gabor

I've run into a possibly similar problem with the slime repl for code
that has a (read-line) following a (read).  I'm running cmucl (April
snapshot) with emacs 2.3.1.  I'm using the CVS tarball of the 15th,
and I've had the problem for at least a couple of weeks but I didn't
report it because I thought I was doing something wrong in the more
complex queries of my real program.

The following stripped-down example runs okay with an empty
(read-line) -- labeled as a hack in the listing.  The original code
runs properly in a terminal or under inferior-lisp-mode without slime.

;; ------- code follows
(defvar value "")
(defvar number "")

(format t "Enter a number: ")
(setf number (read))

;;; **** HACK
(when (find-package "SWANK-LOADER")
  (read-line))

(format t "Enter a string: ")
(setf value (read-line))

(format t "NUMBER is now: ~A~%" number)
(format t "VALUE is now: ~A~%" value)

;; ------- end of code

;; ------- output with the hack commented out

CL-USER> (load #P"/home/loydf/pinfo/librarian/junk.lisp")
Enter a number: 3
Enter a string: NUMBER is now: 3
VALUE is now:

;; ------- end of output

I get no chance to enter an answer to the second real query.  Similar
code with a (read) following a (read-line) seems to run okay.