[slime-devel] Re: How to start Slime/Swank?

Ian Phillips ianp at ianp.org
Wed May 12 10:12:50 UTC 2004

Hi Helmut,

Thanks! It was perms on the .../sources/swank directory. I got a much more
helpful error message when I tried loading via the recommended method.

>   (load "/usr/share/common-lisp/source/swank/swank-loader.lisp")

A quick chmod 777 later and everything looks OK.

>>Another thought is: maybe there's a way to precompile all of this
>>stuff (into a FASL file I think) and then it should "just work" ?
>
> This is unfortunately quite difficult.  We support 5 different Lisp
> implementations, the FASL file formats are different between OSes and
> often incompatible between different versions of the same
> implementation.

I didn't realise that. I was assuming that FASL was some kind of portable
byte-code, not an implementation specific thing.

>   - If it works, start SLIME with M-x slime from Emacs.

Once again, thanks.

Ian.

--
#ifndef  __COMMON_SENSE__ | Ian Phillips
#include <std_disclaimer> | TIBCO Software Inc.