[slime-devel] Re: [slime-cvs] CVS update: slime/HACKING

Jan Rychter jan at rychter.com
Fri Mar 26 18:19:38 UTC 2004

 James> Helmut Eller <e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at> writes:
 >> Luke Gorrie <lgorrie at common-lisp.net> writes:
 >>
 > Helmut Eller <heller at common-lisp.net> writes:
 >
 > > +If you would like to send us improvements you can create a patch
 > > with +C-x v = in the buffer or with 'diff -c'.  You can also
 > > include a +ChangeLog entry describing your change.
 >
 > Hey, I can't read 'diff -c'! But I'm willing to learn if you can cite
 > some virtues :-)
 >>
 >> I changed it to -u.
 >>
 >> I too think -c is harder to read.  Initially I made a reference to
 >> the Emacs manual and they use -c, probably because context diffs
 >> have a better chance to apply cleanly.  I said -c for consistency.
 >> But then I realized that their requirements aren't quite appropriate
 >> for our simple project and removed the link.

 James> I think they also use -c because it is POSIX supported but -u is
 James> a GNU extension. At least, I recall the last time I used Solaris
 James> that it didn't have -u in its diff, but it did have -c, and
 James> presumed then that -c was a POSIX specified option.

Also, in case someone didn't know, for XEmacs/Emacs users, M-x
diff-context->unified saves the day.

--J.