[slime-devel] Re: Tab completion bug?

Luke Gorrie luke at bluetail.com
Wed Mar 24 14:25:18 UTC 2004

Helmut Eller <e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> Luke Gorrie <luke at bluetail.com> writes:
>
>>        expression `^a.*-b.*-c.*' (where "dot" matches anything but a
>>        hyphen). Examples give a more intuitive feeling:
>
> Currently 'mu' expands to 'mu-', with possible completions among others
> muffle-warning and multiple-value-bind. Is that a bug?

The code does this because every possible completion has a hyphen. If
muffle-warning was called muffle-the-warning all of them would have
two hyphens, and the completion would be 'mu--' (with the point placed
after 'u').

The documentation is obscure but correct I think. I had meant to cover
this case by putting the '^' in the regexp and not having a '$' at the
end, i.e. the regexp doesn't have to match to the end of the
string. The partial completion is then computed from the commonality
of the available completions, without reference to the input string.

That make sense?

(This is a pretty hard feature to document clearly. I'll see if there
is a good description to swipe from completer.el.)

-Luke