[slime-devel] swank:frame-locals

Marco Baringer mb at bese.it
Fri Mar 5 11:41:40 UTC 2004

i would like to make a change to slime which isn't directly related to
slime as an emacs lisp IDE but related to slime's (unexpected) use as a
generic debugger interface.

The function frame-locals currently returns the name and the value of a
frame-local as strings, while this is great for emacs it makes it
impossible for me[1] to usefully inspect those values in my debugging
interface (built on slime but doesn't use emacs). The change i would
like to propose is the make swank:frame-locals return, along with
:value-string and :name, a :value and :name-value property.

is this ok or is it important that slime remain concentrated on being
an emacs interface and not a general common lisp implementation
abstraction layer? This particular change would be rather trivial but I
can see this being the start of a road slime may not want to take.

[1] - i'm pretty sure i'm not the only person using slime without
emacs, but i can't remeber who it was who said they were also doing
this.

--
Marco
Ring the bells that still can ring.