[slime-devel] Using SLIME with ACL on Win2000

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Mar 3 21:11:02 UTC 2004

Bill_Clementson at peoplesoft.com writes:

[snip]
> I have another question:
> I see that you can create multiple SLIME repl's to the same lisp by just
> manually connecting on different sockets. However, if I open 2 connections,
> all output (whether from repl[1] or repl[2] goes to repl[2]. Presumably
> both repl's are using *standard-output* and this is why the output from
> both goes to the same emacs buffer. Is this a bug or is there a specific
> command that I should be using for creating a second repl or is there
> something that needs to be specified manually so that output from each repl
> is directed to the correct buffer? A side effect of this is that once you
> evaluate something in repl[1] and the output is sent to repl[2], the prompt
> disappears from repl[1]. You can still enter expressions and evaluate them;
> however, you no longer have the prompt.

This wasn't supported.  There were some global variables and creating
a second socket overwrote the current state, so that all requests were
effectively handled by the second connection.  I reorganized some
things a bit and the variables in question are now thread local.  It
should now work to create multiple servers in the same Lisp.