[slime-devel] Re: Patch: show the current debug level in the REPL

Thomas F. Burdick tfb at OCF.Berkeley.EDU
Wed Jun 30 16:50:23 UTC 2004

Luke Gorrie writes:
 > Marco Baringer <mb at bese.it> writes:
 >
 > > Helmut Eller <e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

 > >> The patch is problematic for multithreaded Lisps; it would display if
 > >> *some* thread is currently debugged.  Would that be useful?
 > >
 > > i do ocassionaly forget that some thread has a debugger open, so this
 > > is a nice reminder that something is amis, and i applied it. however,
 > > now that you mention it, this may not be the best way to go about it.
 >
 > I've backed it out for now since it caused the problem Paolo reported
 > just now. Let's think about it a bit more.

Hmm, I wasn't thinking of threads at all when I was thinking about
this.  What I was going for was an indication that the current REPL
prompt will be evaluating in a non-toplevel dynamic environment.

I don't use any multithreaded Lisps with SLIME -- what I'd expect is
that there'd be a thread for communication, and one for evaluating
things from the REPL; in that case, we could just keep track of the
debug level of that thread.  I remember seeing talk about not being
able to have multiple REPLs open, so I'm guessing when the there's no
way of getting a listener for another thread, when presented with a
debugger?  The only multithreaded lisp I've used much is MCL :-)