[slime-devel] Re: New keybindings for documentation commands

Luke Gorrie luke at bluetail.com
Tue Jun 29 17:13:51 UTC 2004

Peter Seibel <peter at javamonkey.com> writes:

> Luke Gorrie <luke at bluetail.com> writes:
>
>> Ahoy,
>>
>> As previously discussed the documentation commands have now been
>> grouped under a `C-c C-d' prefix. The commands are:
>>
>>   a - apropos
>>   p - apropos-package
>>   z - apropos-all
>>   d - describe-symbol
>>   f - describe-function
>>   h - hyperspec lookup
>>   ~ - hyperspec lookup of a format character
>>
>> The final keystroke is bound both unmodified and with control, so
>> both `C-c C-d a' and `C-c C-d C-a' will make an apropos search.
>
> Why? It seems silly to eat up twice as many key combos as we need to.
> (I haven't been following the discussion of this closely so if there
> was some reason that everyone already agreed was righteous you can
> just tell me so.)

Well, at least I like the last key unmodified, and at least Bill
Clementson likes the last key modified. I figured that since they're
already on their own documentation-commands prefix (C-c C-d) that
we're unlikely to run out of keys, so we can just make everyone happy
in this respect.

There's still meta if we do end up running out of letters. :-)

-Luke