[slime-devel] Re: Bug in compiler note location resolving

Christophe Rhodes csr21 at cam.ac.uk
Sat Jun 26 14:48:25 UTC 2004

Helmut Eller <e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> Hannu Koivisto <azure at iki.fi> writes:
>
>> It seems that SLIME has read the docstring as several forms even
>> though it really is just one form.  You can reproduce the problem
>> by putting the following code to a file and then invoking
>> slime-compile-and-load-file on it.
>
> Thanks for the detailed bug report.  It seems that this is caused by
> some bug/unspecified behavior in SBCL.  See
> http://article.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.steel-bank.devel/2409/match=slime+broken
>
> I committed a workaround that should fix it.  Well, at least your
> example.

SBCL's behaviour, in sbcl-0.8.12.3, has been altered to return NIL on
(get-macro-character #\Space).  I know that slime needs to keep
workarounds for a while for those who are unwilling or unable to
upgrade, but maybe it could be protected with a test against the
compiling sbcl's behaviour?  e.g.

  #+sbcl
  (if (get-macro-character #\Space nil)
      (defun cmucl-style-get-macro-character ...)
      (defun cmucl-style-get-macro-character ...))

or something similar?  It's not necessary, but it might be slightly
more self-documenting.

Cheers,

Christophe