[slime-devel] Re: Fuzzy completion

Luke Gorrie luke at bluetail.com
Tue Jun 22 09:05:53 UTC 2004

Brian Downing <bdowning at lavos.net> writes:

> Well, Luke seemed to like it.  :)
>
> Here it is with documentation, finally.  (Full patch against CVS within
> the last hour.)

This is checked in now. I made a few minor mods (see ChangeLog).

Rather than have a separate keybinding I just used our existing
choose-your-own-completion indirection, so you can do this:

  (setq slime-complete-symbol-function 'slime-fuzzy-complete-symbol)

Or experiment with it by pressing `M-x slime-fuzzy-complete-symbol' or
choosing from the menubar. This is a really funky feature.

> This is your last chance to tell me that you hate the
> algorithm/interface/idea and want it to be completely different!  (Or
> more constructive suggestions -- I'm interested.  :)

One idea I have is that if you press a self-inserting character in the
completions buffer then it would be dismissed and the character
inserted in the target buffer. The idea is that if fuzzy completion
guesses the right symbol for the first choice then you can just keep
typing and the completion window will disappear.

I'll play with that tomorrow.

Great feature :-)

Cheers,
Luke