[slime-devel] Re: SLIME User Survey

Dan Pierson dlp at itasoftware.com
Mon Jun 21 13:51:41 UTC 2004

Luke Gorrie wrote:
> Questions:
>
> Which Lisp versions do you use SLIME with?

CMUCL 18e+

> Which Emacs versions?

GNU Emacs 21.3.1

> How well does SLIME work for you?

Very well, all-in-all.

> What bugs (reproducible or otherwise) or missing features annoy you?

I've had some occasions when the slime session suddenly ended, usually
in the middle of debugging.  I don't have enough info to characterize
this yet (and I've been off on a Python based firefight for the last 3
weeks so I'm a bit out of date with SLIME in our environment).  There
are multiple threads in use when this happens -- that may not be relevant.

> Is there some packaging system (e.g. Debian) that you would like to
> see SLIME 1.0 bundled with? If so, do you know how to coordinate this?

RPM, if anything (we use RedHat/Fedora here).  But it's not important.

> If you said anything negative above then please say something nice
> here to make us feel good:

I'm a new guy (but an old Lisp hacker) in a much larger group with a
large, mature Lisp product.  A couple of others have now been SLIMEd and
there seems to be wider interest.  It's a lot easier to get working than
ILISP and seems more stable to me.  I expect the number of users here to
grow.