[slime-devel] Compilation policy in and out of Slime

Brian Downing bdowning at lavos.net
Sun Jun 20 08:18:05 UTC 2004

[Slime 2004-06-18, SBCL Darwin/PPC 0.8.11.14+many hacks, an oldish Emacs
CVS]

Once thing I noticed when working on some SBCL internals tonight is that
Slime is compiling things for SBCL with very little debug.  This can be
seen by compiling:

(defun bar (x y) (zot x y))

from the Slime REPL and the *inferior-lisp* REPL.  The Slime-compiled
one has a very short disassembly, and tail-calls the FDEFINITION.  The
REPL-compiled one is quite long, and doesn't.  This is strange, though,
since sb-c::*policy* evaluates to the same in either environment.

While this was sort of nice for me (Slime's low debug made my find and
fix a nasty stack-destroying bug), it seems bad that Slime-compiled code
is defaulting to low debug levels, and seems to not be respecting the
*policy*.

Is this happening on anyone else's installation, and does anyone have
an idea why this is happening?

(I've not CCed sbcl-devel on this - I figure enough of the SBCL
developers who know anything about Slime are on this list.)

-bcd