[slime-devel] Re: SLIME User Survey

Andreas Fuchs asf at boinkor.net
Fri Jun 18 19:12:40 UTC 2004

Today, Luke Gorrie <luke at bluetail.com> wrote:
> Questions:
>
> Which Lisp versions do you use SLIME with?

SBCL, more-or-less recent CVS versions and CMUCL 18e

> Which Emacs versions?

not-quite-current CVS (21.3.50.4)

> How well does SLIME work for you?

It started out working great (I switched from ILISP after the non-mt
SBCL interface was done), and it got better and better. For me, it
works better and more consistently good than most packages that are
shipped with emacs.

> What bugs (reproducible or otherwise) or missing features annoy you?

Just a brain dump:

As Thomas F. Burdick said, it's not very useful to have a buffer pop
up containing only one STYLE-WARNING (redefining FOO) but leaving out
the compiler notes. I know that sometimes it's good to be informed
that you're just redefining stuff, But when I'm using compile-defun, I
know that I'm redefining the function. C-c C-k is a different story,
though (-:

A condition inspector would be very good to have.

The window that pops up when you C-c C-k (compile-and-load-file)
should structure the conditions into conditions raised at compile-time
and at load-time.

And this one's here because I've grown to like this feature in eclipse
(lets me take a break from coding from time to time (-;): A simple way
of running RT tests and looking at the results - preferably with a
green bar. (-:

> Is there some packaging system (e.g. Debian) that you would like to
> see SLIME 1.0 bundled with? If so, do you know how to coordinate
> this?

I guess the answer to that one is "as many as possible". Spread the
Viru^WSLIME!

> If you said anything negative above then please say something nice
> here to make us feel good:

SLIME is a really great development environment for reading, writing
and debugging programs interactively. It's fun to use it, and it makes
for a very nice demo of how programming lisp feels like (-:

Thanks for the great work,
--
Andreas Fuchs, <asf at boinkor.net>, asf at jabber.at, antifuchs