[slime-devel] SLIME User Survey

Sean O'Rourke seano at cs.ucsd.edu
Fri Jun 18 17:52:54 UTC 2004

Luke Gorrie <luke at bluetail.com> writes:
> Which Lisp versions do you use SLIME with?

SBCL 0.8.10, Darwin

> Which Emacs versions?

CVS

> How well does SLIME work for you?

Very.

> What bugs (reproducible or otherwise) or missing features annoy you?

This is really more of an SBCL problem, but since SLIME reports
compilation errors and warnings afterwards, it would be nice to be
able to have it suppress SBCL's extreme chattiness in the REPL buffer
when doing a compile from a lisp buffer.  It would probably speed
things up as well, since Emacs would no longer have to fontify all
those notes.

For some features, SLIME reinvents wheels that come standard with
newer Emacs (i.e. "slime-autodoc" is a reimplementation of Eldoc with
its local hook; the notes tree vs. David Ponce's excellent tree-widget
package).  It would reduce duplication of both development and
~/.emacs configuration to use these existing facilities.

Other than that, (1) it works amazingly well, (2) SLIME development is
quite active, and (3) it's Lisp and I've got the source, so obviously
these problems aren't serious enough to motivate me to fix them.

> Is there some packaging system (e.g. Debian) that you would like to
> see SLIME 1.0 bundled with? If so, do you know how to coordinate this?

Nope.  It's not the GNU Emacs way...

/s