[slime-devel] Re: Towards 1.0?

Luke Gorrie luke at bluetail.com
Thu Jun 17 16:19:14 UTC 2004

Helmut Eller <e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> Where should install we SLIME by default?  A writable directory would
> be the easiest for us; not sure if distributors like that.

I hacked swank-loader.lisp to put the fasl files in ~/.slime/fasl/ (on
Win32 it's _slime instead). This way we can install in a read-only
directory. Sound okay?

I gather that pathname'ery is notoriously non-portable. I've tested
this in CMUCL, SBCL, LispWorks, ACL50.

> I don't plan to add much new stuff in the future; the current state
> seems to satisfy my needs.

Likewise. Now I'm more comfortable hacking CL than Elisp and that's my
major milestone. I would still like an answer to edebug in Emacs21,
but we gotta save something for version 2 :-)

So it seems to be worth interrupting normal hacking for a little while
to get a 1.0 release out the door. I propose this release plan:

  "alpha" release towards the end of this month:
    Release a tarball of something FAIRLY-STABLE and encourage as many
    people as possible to install and bash on it. Major bug-hunting
    spree, last chance for people to suggest small changes.

  "beta" release towards the end of July:
    Take what we have after alpha and release that. Final round of
    bug-hunting. Try really hard not to add features.

  "1.0" release towards the end of August:
    If we're satisfied at this point we make a slime-1.0.tar.gz and
    put it on the 'net. We also try to get it bundled in packaging
    systems (debian, gentoo, xemacs, etc).

Thoughts?

-Luke