[slime-devel] Re: repl shortcut commands feature request

Glenn Ehrlich glenn.ehrlich.lists at cox.net
Thu Jun 17 07:30:06 UTC 2004

On Wed, 16 Jun 2004 18:12:26 +0200, Luke Gorrie wrote:

> Brian Downing <bdowning at lavos.net> writes:
>
>> On Wed, Jun 16, 2004 at 05:54:40PM +0200, Luke Gorrie wrote:
>>> In SLIME you can press , and then select previous commands from the
>>> minibuffer history. Not enough?
>>
>> You don't get the arguments with it, which is suboptimal.
>
> One option is to use `repeat-complex-command', which I just learned
> recently. It's on `C-x M-:'.

I love repeat-complex-command.  I use it all the time.  You can use
M-n and M-p to go back and forth in the command history, just like in
other modes.  However, the keystrokes are all pretty clumsy.  In my
.emacs, I have the following:

(global-set-key                             [f7] 'repeat-complex-command)
(define-key minibuffer-local-map            [f7] 'previous-history-element)
(define-key minibuffer-local-map            [f8] 'next-history-element)
(define-key minibuffer-local-completion-map [f7] 'previous-history-element)
(define-key minibuffer-local-completion-map [f8] 'next-history-element)
(define-key minibuffer-local-must-match-map [f7] 'previous-history-element)
(define-key minibuffer-local-must-match-map [f8] 'next-history-element)

There's a couple of other minibuffer local maps as well, but these 3
are the most useful.

That way, I can press f7, then *keep* pressing f7 to go back in the
history and f8 is conveniently next to it if I want to go forward.

--
Glenn Ehrlich
http://cooking-with-lisp.blogspot.com