[slime-devel] SLIME, OpenMCL and aborting a process

Pascal J.Bourguignon pjb at informatimago.com
Wed Jun 16 18:11:42 UTC 2004

Gary King writes:
> Suppose I type
>
> (loop repeat 10000 do (sleep 0.5) (princ "."))
>
> by "accident" in the listener. I'd like to stop this from running so
> that I can get back to work but don't see how?

CONTROL-C ?  On a terminal.  Actually, you should  use the key
configured with: stty intr CHAR You can know which with: stty -a

I'm sorry, I don't use slime yet. With ilisp/emacs, I've bound C-c C-c
to interrupt-subjob-ilisp.  I assume that with slime, there's an
equivalent function.  On the old version of slime I've got installed,
it's C-g, bound to slime-interrupt.

> Also, no periods are
> printing. Where are they going? Are they filling up my computer like
> those little holes from a three hold punch? What if it runs out of
> space? (Sorry, long night).

I guess so.

They're put in a buffer.  They will get output not before a new line
(TERPRI) is printed or FINISH-OUTPUT is called, or, if there's no bug
in the implementation, when indeed the buffer runs out of space (but
these days, buffers can be large).

(loop repeat 10000 do (sleep 0.5) (princ ".") (finish-output))