[slime-devel] Old REPL input

Brian Downing bdowning at lavos.net
Thu Jul 29 11:37:16 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jul 29, 2004 at 07:13:02AM +0200, Edi Weitz wrote:
> Now move point back up until you're behind the closing parentheses and
> hit the return key. I expected this to move me back to current prompt
> with "(+ 3 4)" copied there ready to be edited (or evaluated by
> another return key) but I only get "no input at point."
>
> Did I miss a purposeful change or is this is a bug?

I may have broken this.

While fixing some input bugs a while ago, I moved the input property end
one character further back (before the newline).  This was to fix a bug
with multi-line text input -- like with (loop repeat 5 collect
(read-from-string)).

Before, the lines of input all ran together into one, which led to two
problems:

* Recalling the lines in the future would get them all, when in fact they
  were separate inputs.
* With no prompt, the input actually seemed to expand with the next line
  of input, which means that when you hit RET even within the current
  line, it tried to paste in all of the preceeding lines up to the
  prompt or something horrible like that instead of sending the current
  line.

Sorry, I'm having a hard time explaining this.  :)

Anyway, moving the end of the input property before the newline fixed
all of the above, but may have broken what you're talking about, Edi.
Maybe somebody else has an idea on how to fix it without reintroducing
the other behaviors.

-bcd