[slime-devel] Re: Slime cannot connect to ACL6.2 win32

Thomas Schilling tjs_ng at yahoo.de
Thu Jul 22 14:22:07 UTC 2004

Am Thu, 22 Jul 2004 08:26:00 +0200 schrieb Luke Gorrie <luke at bluetail.com>:

> Thomas Schilling <tjs_ng at yahoo.de> writes:
>
>> The exact error message is:
>>
>>    (stream/warning) failure to open network stream to host "localhost"
>> for service "4005"
>>
>> Took a look at the changelog--Luke, something to confess?
>>
>> The relevant init.el part:
>>
>> ;; start up slime
>> (global-set-key [(f5)]
>>    '(lambda ()
>>      (interactive)
>>      (shell-command "c:/programme/acl62-demo/allegro-ansi.exe  +B +cm
>> -L
>> ~/slime.lisp&")
>>      (sleep-for 3)
>>      (slime-connect "localhost" 4005)
>>      (cd "~/Eigene Dateien/")))
>
> Is it just the obvious race condition? That function assumes that Lisp
> will have the server up and running within 3 seconds. If it's not up
> in time then you'd get the error you respoted. Note that if the Lisp
> sources have changed (e.g. after cvs update) then swank-loader will
> recompile them, and that could easily take more than 3 seconds.
>
> The smallest fix would be to change the connecting part to something
> like:
>
>   (while (not (ignore-errors (slime-connect "localhost" 4005) t))
>     (sit-for 1))
>
> .. to loop until the connection succeeds.

That would run forever since this is not my problem.

Even a manual M-x slime-connect doesn't work. It says:

   connection failed: No such file or directory, 127.0.0.1, SLIME Lisp

And the problem first occured after I checked out yesterday, though I
often have long-running sessions where I cannot really say when I started
it.

--
       ,,
      \../   /  <<< The LISP Effect