[slime-devel] Re: Did someone say they were working on a GF browser?

Luke Gorrie luke at bluetail.com
Mon Jul 19 14:31:45 UTC 2004

Peter Seibel <peter at javamonkey.com> writes:

> I don't know if I saw it here, on c.l.l., or in my dreams but I seem
> to recall someone saying they were working on adding a generic
> function/method browser to SLIME. I.e. something by which you could
> see all the methods defined on a gf and then remove particular ones
> easily, etc. If so, how's it coming along?

Thomas Schilling mentioned this in CLL.

If you do `M-.' on a generic function we currently show an "XREF"
buffer listing all methods. That buffer could be a good starting
point.

Currently Lisp reports XREF entries to Emacs as a name and a
location. It could be extended to also say what it's referencing,
e.g. (method GF (ARG1-TYPE ...)). Emacs could then put that on text
properties and have some commands that make use of it.

That's one approach, anyway.

-Luke