[slime-devel] Re: First Impressions

Iain Little iain.little at gmail.com
Sat Jul 17 09:52:54 UTC 2004

On Fri, 16 Jul 2004 23:48:20 +0200, Luke Gorrie <luke at bluetail.com> wrote:
> iain.little at gmail.com writes:
> > The problem is, slime puts the output in the minibuffer.
>
> The interactive-eval family of of commands (C-x C-e, C-c M-:, etc)
> will now output to the REPL if you give them a prefix argument, so
> e.g. C-u C-x C-e.

Cool - thanks!

> > Which - as advertised - actually does the right thing (ilisp most
> > certainly doesn't). But,
> >
> > CL> (with-accessors ((a b)) c
> >                   ...)
>
> Usually we exclude with-* and def* from indentation-learning because
> Emacs already does their indentation specially. Still, Emacs doesn't
> always get it right, so now you can customize
> `slime-conservative-indentation' to turn that off.
>
> > CL> (defgeneric test2 (a)
> >       (:method-combination progn))
> > #<Standard-Generic-Function TEST2 (0) {48B3C389}>
> > CL> (defmethod test2 progn ((object a))
> >              ...)
>
> I'll leave this one to someone who understands CLOS :-)

This is just another def* case that emacs doesn't get right; it
assumes that any qualifiers are keywords.  But this isn't true if you
arn't using the standard method combination, so it doesn't recognise
that there is an extra argument before the body.

> > The only other thing is that the &body indentation doesn't work in the
> > lisp buffers created by opening a file.  But I suspect that is because
> > I still have ilisp installed, and it is clobbering whatever slime
> > does.

[...]

> This indentation problem is most likely because lisp-mode isn't
> configured to use common-lisp indentation style. There's now an easy
> way to do this from ~/.emacs: (slime-setup). That configures
> lisp-mode-hook to enable slime-mode and to use common-lisp
> indentation. You can instead use (slime-setup :autodoc t) to also
> enable the autodoc mode.

Yes, this was it.  Ironically, I commented out the line in my .emacs
file that set the lisp-mode style to common-lisp when testing slime,
thinking that it might interfere.

But anyway, I'm certainly a happy customer.  Will ditch ilisp and see
how things go.

Cheers,

Iain