[slime-devel] Re: Using the REPL when a computation is running.

Luke Gorrie luke at bluetail.com
Mon Jul 12 09:09:56 UTC 2004

Lynn Quam <quam at ai.sri.com> writes:

> I would like to point out some dangers associated with both multiple
> threads and interrupting the current computation, performing the
> requested action, and then resuming the computation again.

Yes, it must be remembered that threads are complete and utter
insanity to begin with. We added threads support in SLIME because
everybody else is intent on using them, not because we're crazy enough
to do so ourselves :-)

I do find SIGIO practical though. In that case I know that I'm forcing
a context-switch and I'm responsible for the consequences, and I do it
so infrequently that I've never observed a problem from it. Quite
managable compared with e.g. a multithreaded server somewhere doing a
thousand context-switches per second without human supervision :-)

-Luke