[slime-devel] Re: Canonical package nicknames patch

Peter Seibel peter at javamonkey.com
Sun Jul 11 03:55:31 UTC 2004

"Thomas F. Burdick" <tfb at OCF.Berkeley.EDU> writes:

> Overall, this looks like a good idea to me, but it does have the
> possibility of showing you a "nickname" that isn't actually a
> nickname for the package.
>
> Peter Seibel writes:
>
>  > +  (or (cdr (assoc (package-name package) *canonical-packge-names* :test #'string=))
>
> How about this instead:
>
>   (or (let ((nick (cdr (assoc (package-name package) *canonical-package-names*
>                               :test #'string=))))
>         (and nick (find nick (list* (package-name package)
>                                     (package-nicknames package)))))

Well, if someone wants the "canonical" name for a package to be
something that isn't actually a nickname, it's not clear that we
should tell them they can't. If you don't want non-nicknames used as
the canonical name, don't put them in *canonical-package-names*.

Besides the other part of the change I made will definitely show you a
prompt that is not in fact a nickname if you have
*auto-abbreviate-dotted-packages* set to T (as it is by default).

-Peter

Peter Seibel                                      peter at javamonkey.com