[slime-devel] What expressions can be inspected with slime-inspect?

Paolo Amoroso amoroso at mclink.it
Mon Jul 5 13:43:43 UTC 2004

What kind of expressions it is possible to inspect with the
`slime-inspect' command?  Suppose I evaluate this in a SLIME repl:

  (defclass my-class () ((a) (b))

then invoke `slime-inspect' from a Lisp mode buffer with `C-c I' and
type:

  (make-instance 'cl-user::my-class)

I get this error:

  Error in function PCL::FIND-CLASS-FROM-CELL:
     No class named: COMMON-LISP-USER::MY-CLASS.
     [Condition of type SIMPLE-ERROR]

  Restarts:
    0: [ABORT] Abort handling SLIME request.
    1: [ABORT] Return to Top-Level.

  Backtrace:
    0: (PCL::FIND-CLASS-FROM-CELL COMMON-LISP-USER::MY-CLASS NIL T)
    1: ("DEFMETHOD MAKE-INSTANCE (SYMBOL)" #<#1=unused-arg> #<#1#>
        COMMON-LISP-USER::MY-CLASS NIL)
    2: ("DEFSLIMEFUN INIT-INSPECTOR")
   --more--

Am I supposed to do that?  In which environment does `slime-inspect'
evaluate expressions?

Paolo