[slime-devel] A possible bug in slime ...

Brian Downing bdowning at lavos.net
Thu Jan 29 17:37:26 UTC 2004

On Thu, Jan 29, 2004 at 10:05:31AM +0100, Helmut Eller wrote:
> Ignas Mikalajunas <i.mikalajunas at mbt.lt> writes:
>
> >    I am not absolutely sure yet i think that it is impossible to
> > connect to a swank server running not on a "localhost". All of the
> > functions that should be taking a host as a parameter are using
> > "localhost" instead of host. Is it a feature or a bug ?
>
> It's lazyness :-)
>
> The SWANK port should be bound to the loopback device, for security
> reasons.  "localhost" is usually the loopback device and with most
> socket interfaces a bit easier to access.  It shouldn't be difficult
> to add a host or ip argument to the current functions.  It's just not
> done yet.

Or do what I do.

$ ssh -L12321:localhost:12321 user at remotehost

Then start SWANK on the remote host on port 12321, and connect Slime
locally to port 12321, and ssh will tunnel it for you.  Plus you get an
encrypted connection, and if you add -C, compression.

Make sure to set *use-dedicated-output-stream* to NIL in the remote
SWANK so that it only uses one connection!  Otherwise it won't work.

-bcd