[slime-devel] Re: eval-string bug?

Luke Gorrie luke at bluetail.com
Sat Jan 24 22:01:10 UTC 2004

Helmut Eller <e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> The sldb-loop looked like this:
>
>  (send-to-emacs '(:initialize-debugger ...))
>  (loop
>    (send-to-emacs '(:activate-debugger ...))
>    (read-from-emacs))
>
> This too was problematic, because the :initialize-debugger event could
> cause a RPC from Emacs to Lisp (e.g., fetching the backtrace).  But
> the result of the RPC arrived after the :activate-event.  I gave at
> this point.

How about making it look like:

  (loop (send-to-emacs `(:debug ...))
        (read-from-emacs))

i.e. just like today except with the :DEBUG message moved into the
loop. This feels okay so far (after 5 minutes..)

> I think we cannot blindly accept every event at any time.  Maybe we
> need something like a mailbox with Erlang-style selective receive :-)

Do you have more bad cases in mind already? I wanna wanna wanna make
this work, it could solve all our interrupt/thread/etc woes.

I've attached my currently hacked patch just for your info / trouble
spotting :-)