[slime-devel] Remote slime

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Tue Jan 20 23:07:18 UTC 2004

Brian Downing <bdowning at lavos.net> writes:

> I'm pretty sure I have gotten this to work in the past.  I thought slime
> only used one connection.  Has this changed?  I've been out of the loop
> for a while, but I didn't ask it to use a port 32848 above.

This is configurable.  By default we use 2 connections.  The second
connection is only used for "raw" output to Emacs; it's a pure
performance optimization.  If you set *use-dedicated-output-stream* to
nil (e.g., in your .swank.lisp), SLIME uses only a single connection.

> On a peripherally related note, is there any sort of support for a
> translation table for pathnames?  I'd like to edit the remote files with
> tramp mode, but if the paths get sent over as
> "/multi:ssh:foo at bar.quux:ssh:foo at gronk:/baz" it's not going to like it
> too much.  :)

This message http://article.gmane.org/gmane.lisp.slime.devel/254
contains some code to do that, but it's not yet integrated in the CVS
version.

I'd like to note, that interrupting a remote Lisp will not work,
because we use Unix signals for this.  Proposals how we could
interrupt a remote Lisp are most welcome.