[slime-devel] slime-input-stream and REPL extensions

Christian Lynbech christian.lynbech at ericsson.com
Tue Jan 20 10:22:55 UTC 2004

Would it be possible to change `slime-input-stream' to become a real
stream rather than just a struct?

As a non-stream struct it tends to wreak havoc when some non-slime
aware code tries to operate on *standard-input*.

My concrete problem is with Paul Foleys (mycroft at actrix.gen.nz)
repl-ext package that allows one to do Allegro style repl commands,
and I have come to absolutely love this. This wants to replace the
toplevel REPL but does not know how to handle slime-input-streams. The
fix is rather simple, but I think it would make slime more robust if
it would not be necessary to fix all packages that needs to operate on
*standard-input* one by one.

Obviously, I have no idea how difficult such a thing would be, but it
may be worth keeping in the back of your heads :-)

Another thing would be to consider integrating repl-ext into slime, it
is really nice, IMHO.

Christian Lynbech       | christian #\@ defun #\. dk