[slime-devel] Re: close-all-sexp for SLIME

Luke Gorrie luke at bluetail.com
Mon Jan 19 20:37:56 UTC 2004

Michael Weber <michaelw+slime at foldr.org> writes:

> However, in transient-mark-mode I can restrict it to whatever region I
> wish for.  This is useful for balancing sublists instead of the whole
> "top-level" sexp.

Right, sublists is the case I missed. I've committed this command now,
bound to `C-c C-]'.

However, I couldn't figure out how to detect transient-mark-mode on
XEmacs, so I switched it to use a prefix argument to restrict to the
region. So `C-u C-c C-]' can be used to close subforms.

I suspect that XEmacs has made transient-mark-mode mandatory. In my
XEmacs, apropos for 'transient' matches nothing, yet it behaves as if
it's in transient-mark-mode. Can anyone confirm?

(I don't like transient-mark-mode because it seems like a barrier to
developing the 6th-sense of always knowing where the mark is and has
recently been, as is needed to make best use of the mark-ring. Making
it mandatory is just the sort of awful thing XEmacs would do ;-))

Cheers,
Luke