[slime-devel] emacs complains about 'package' variable

Janis Dzerins jdz at dir.lv
Sun Jan 18 20:38:28 UTC 2004

Helmut Eller wrote:
> Janis Dzerins <jdz at dir.lv> writes:
>

>>This might have something to do with the WITH-LEXICAL-BINDINGS macro,
>>but I'm not any good at debugging emacs code.  So now I stick without
>>macroexpand and use C-c C-c (which works!) instead of C-M-x.
>

> This problem doesn't occur here.  What Emacs version are you using?
> Could you send a backtrace?  Set debug-on-error to t, expand a macro,
> and send the contents of the "*Backtrace*" buffer.

The funny thing is, as I found out yesterday, that macroexand and eval
work for other projects.  Thus I managed to find the cause for this
problem:  slime does not like the mode line at the top of the buffer.

It is easy to roproduce:
  - create a new lisp file with following contents:

---8<---cut-here---8<---
;;; -*- mode: LISP; package: FOO -*-

(defpackage :foo
   (:use :common-lisp))

(in-package :foo)

(foo)
---8<---cut-here---8<---

Now, there's no problem to try and macroexand or evaluate anything in
this buffer.

But then close the buffer and open the file again.  Now nothing works
any more.  If the mode line is removed, and file is reopened, everything
is back to normal again.

--
Janis Dzerins

   If million people say a stupid thing, it's still a stupid thing.