[slime-devel] function CREATE-SWANK-SERVER is undefined

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Feb 11 20:35:03 UTC 2004

Geoffrey Knauth <geoff at knauth.org> writes:

> I'm new to slime.  I tried using it with this in my .emacs:
>
> (setq inferior-lisp-program "/sw/bin/clisp")  ; Platform is Mac OS X
> (Panther).  CLisp is 2.29-13.
[...]
> *** - DEFSTRUCT: invalid syntax for name and options: (:LOCATION
[...]
> Am I doing something wrong?

I think CLISP 2.29-13 is too old.  We use things like

   (defstruct (:location (:type list) :named ...))

and older versions of CLISP don't like keywords as struct names.
CLISP 2.32 or newer should work.  There are also some Linux specific
functions in swank-clisp.lisp.  You probably have to comment them out
or provide MacOS versions (SET-SIGIO-HANDLER and ADD-INPUT-HANDLER
are currently not used; you can delete them).

It may also be a good idea to try SLIME with OpenMCL (if you have it
around) to see how SLIME is supposed to work.