[slime-devel] first keypress in debugger

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Dec 13 19:29:58 UTC 2004

Gabor Melis <mega at hotpop.com> writes:

> There is a minor annoyance that I haven't seen any of you mention. Sometimes
> when a debugger or compilation notes buffer pops up the first key pressed
> generates a 'buffer is readonly' message. From the second keypress on
> everything works fine.
>
> This is with a very recent slime and emacs 21.3 from Debian Sarge.

I don't see this in Emacs 20 and it seems to be very hard to reproduce
in Emacs 21.

We had similar symptoms when we changed the buffer in a timer function
and the true cause was probably a bug in Emacs' C code.

I'm not sure whether this has something to do with timer functions.
Usually we don't run code in timer functions, but it can happen if a
process filter aborts prematurely due to an error.  The timer is then
started to process remaining requests later.  Maybe you can see some
error message in the *Messages* buffer.

Anyway, I can't reproduce the bug so it's hard to say what should be
fixed.

> Oh, and one more thing. I was trying to get slime work with a non-unicode
> aware sbcl and iso-8859-2 encoded files. I figured that setting (setq
> slime-net-coding-system 'binary) was the way to go. Unfortunately, when
> compiling a simple thing like:

'binary only works if you set default-enable-multibyte-characters to
nil.