[slime-devel] swank/xref and slime-load-file

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Aug 1 07:02:13 UTC 2004

Jonathan Meeks <jdmmmmm at sbcglobal.net> writes:

> I think there is a bug in slime-load-file.
>
> I have noticed that when a file has its *.lisp extension in the
> parameter to slime-load-file, swank/xref is not able to find its
> callees (with slime-list-callees).
>
> When called interactively, the extension is stripped and
> slime-list-callees works.  So, shouldn't the extension be stripped by
> slime-load-file when called non-interactively, as well?

Most implementations load the fasl file if the filename has no
extension (and if there is a fasl file in the directory).  I think the
problem you are seen is more related to interpreted functions.  When
you load the .lisp file, the loaded functions are usually interpreted
and not compiled.  That's at least the situation for CMUCL.

slime-list-callees currently only works for compiled and byte-compiled
functions; interpreted functions are basically ignored.  Also CMUCL
doesn't record the source location for interpreted functions.

To support slime-list-callees for interpreted functions we probably
need to walk the IR code.  To record the source location we would need
a little change to CMUCL itself.  Not sure if interpreted code is
important enough for the added complexity.