[slime-devel] more stuff

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Oct 20 17:09:52 UTC 2003

Luke Gorrie <luke at bluetail.com> writes:

> Hi-diddly-ho,
>
> Very nice cleanup and extension work Helmut :-)

Thanks.

> I wonder - now that we have both input and output redirected to Emacs,
> would writing an `ielm'-style top-level just be a matter of some elisp
> hacking?

Yes, mostly.  Some things need a bit more thought, like what events
should we accept in the read state, the proper semantics of
FLUSH-INPUT, eofs etc.  Also the stream implementation uses some very
CMUCL specific buffer scheme (a fixed 512 byte vector) and it would
probably good to make this a bit more flexible.  But these issues are
easier to resolve when we know how the REPL should look like.  ielm
seems to use comint, and I'm not sure if that's a good thing to do.

> I've hacked the connection setup to run asynchronously, so M-x slime
> will try to connect in the background using a timer to retry. There's
> a new command `slime-disconnect' that will abort connection retrying
> or, if already connected, close the connection. This makes it easier
> to see what's going on and do manual fixes if e.g. the backend fails
> to compile or something.

This works pretty good now.

> Now I'm wondering about the next steps in the backend
> integration/factoring. There are two things I'd like to do:
>
> Have a well-defined interface that the backend-specific code
> implements. Perhaps a `defcallback' macro that we use in swank.lisp
> where we can put a docstring and possibly some assertions about return
> values. We should also detect/warn for unimplemented backend
> functions. This seems pretty easy.

Sounds good.  Perhaps we could also add something like a default
implementation for the functionality, and the backend can override
this if the implementation has some special needs.  Would be useful
for things like read-next-form with a special case for CMUCL.

> The other idea is not so clear, but I would like to factor all of the
> protocol-related code that sends and receives messages into common
> code. This is to make the protocol hackable without modifying/breaking
> all backends, and to get protocol invariants (like proper nesting of
> :debug and :debug-return) taken care of in one place.

Probably a good idea.  sldb-loop seems to be the most complicated
candidate for this refactoring, but doesn't look too hard.

> I'm also now leaning towards Helmut's idea of using send/receive
> asynchronous message passing as the lowest layer of
> communication. Currently we have a hybrid where Emacs always talks to
> Lisp with RPC but Lisp can send state-specific asynchronous messages
> to Emacs. This is a bit funky in some cases, e.g. invoking a restart
> from Emacs would be better done as an asynchronous message than as an
> RPC since we don't want a result.
>
> There's currently a bug in the protocol that you can see when trying
> to invoke restarts. In some cases the backends will want to send
> (:debug-condition <string>) messages to Emacs, but the Elisp code
> doesn't understand those messages anymore (due to my last
> "improvements"). In the automaton it would be nice to handle these
> messages in the `debugging' state, but since invoking a restart is
> done by RPC we end up in the `evaluating' state waiting for a
> result. So it seems nicer to control the debugger with asynchronous
> messages instead of RPCs.

Hehe, tricky.  We could use asynchronous messages to call functions
that are not supposed to return, right?  If such a function enters the
debugger, things would just work like they do now, but we would have
to bind the *debugger-hook* somewhere.  Alternatively we could add an
event to the sate-machine that sends a RPC, but doesn't switch the
state and ignores the :ok result.

Another thought: would it be possible to run the state machine from a
an idle timer (with a very small timeout) instead from the process
filter?  Would that solve the problem with loosing input when someone
throws out from the state machine?

> So, um, that's pretty vague. Mostly written to publicly recant my
> previous suggestion that RPC is the way to go for everything :-)
>
> One thing I did hacking-wise is to add more significant detection of
> protocol errors. If the Elisp code gets a message that it can't
> understand in its current state, it closes the connection and pops up
> a buffer with some debug info and a statement to the effect of "hey,
> you've found a bug!". Currently I'm getting this trying to invoke the
> `q'uit restart in the SBCL backend, due to the Elisp :debug-condition
> bug mentioned above (though I'm not sure why this is hitting a
> debug-condition in the first place - maybe a bug in the SBCL backend).

That's cool.  We should perhaps ask before disconnecting, just in case
someone has significant state on the stack.

--helmut.