[slime-devel] strange failure with the sbcl backend

Andreas Fuchs asf at boinkor.net
Fri Oct 17 21:05:02 UTC 2003

Hi,

I was wondering lately why slime/sbcl did not want to compile
swank-sbcl.lisp. When I tried it, I got the backtrace available at
<URL:http://shell.iddqd.org:8081/paste/display/103>.

As you can see, somehow sbcl fails to find the appropriate method for
slime-output-stream-buffer. I can trigger this by executing

C-c : (defclass slime-output-stream (sb-gray:fundamental-character-output-stream)
  ((buffer :initform (make-string-output-stream :element-type 'character)
           :accessor slime-output-stream-buffer))) RET

(i.e. a complete 1:1 redefinition of the slime-output-stream class and
the slime-output-stream-buffer GF)

I'm not sure which is to blame: me, sbcl or swank. It also seems like
I'm the only person for whom this is failing. On my machine, I can
reproduce this with a clean slime, fresh sbcl (no .sbclrc), while
running emacs -q; so it must be my karma or something (-:

Thanks,
--
Andreas Fuchs, <asf at acm.org>, asf at jabber.at, antifuchs