[slime-devel] Re: [Ilisp-devel] SLIME

Luke Gorrie luke at bluetail.com
Thu Nov 27 15:04:25 UTC 2003

Bill_Clementson at peoplesoft.com writes:

> 3. Flesh out SLIME with the functionality that is available today in ILISP
> and ELI. This is the "clean slate" option. It would allow for a new Emacs
> CL mode to be developed utilizing the best ideas from ILISP & ELI. It also
> requires the greatest amount of effort.

s/effort/fun/ :-)

This is firmly the path we've taken, except that we're primarily
stealing ideas from Emacs Lisp's development environment.

> 4. Integrate SLIME and ILISP. This would add multiprocessing support to
> ILISP and would allow SLIME to take advantage of the rich functionality
> already built into ILISP.

As Dan mentioned, we don't do any multiprocessing yet, though we hope
our infrastructure will permit it with minimal rewriting.

If you guys are interested in using TCP for your connection, the
socket code is pretty easy. I don't think merging with SLIME would be
a practical way to do it though.

BTW, the interesting aspect of SLIME is the depth of our Emacs/Lisp
integration. For example, we have rewritten parts of the Common Lisp
top-level and debugger in Elisp, and made Emacs understand Lisp
compiler messages very well. The socket stuff is just a boring
implementation detail.

Cheers,
Luke