[slime-devel] mp::startup-idle-and-top-level-loops blocks SLIME REPL

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Sun Nov 16 19:02:13 UTC 2003

Paolo Amoroso <amoroso at mclink.it> writes:

> Paolo Amoroso writes:
>
> > I use CMUCL 18e with GNU Emacs 20.7.2 and the latest SLIME CVS sources
> > under Debian Woody. If I evaluate this form in *slime-repl*:
> >
> >   (mp::startup-idle-and-top-level-loops)
> [...]
> > and *slime-repl* blocks, i.e it no longer accepts input. If I press
>
> A workaround is to evaluate the form from *inferior-lisp*.

This is a bit difficult.  mp::startup-idle-and-top-level-loops starts
a new thread and then enters an infinite loop.  The main thread
becomes the "idle" thread that does the actual scheduling, but blocks
the communication with Slime.

Slime is currently not prepared for multithreaded operation and
asynchronous "stuff", like multithreading or fd-handlers, may cause
unexpected behavior.  Suggestions to improve the situation are most
welcome.