[slime-devel] Problem compiling functions longer than around 4093 characters?

Fred Gilham gilham at csl.sri.com
Fri Nov 7 02:06:35 UTC 2003

Hello,

I was trying to compile a function interactively (i.e. with ^C^C).
It's a relatively long function.  When I did it under slime, I got the
following:

*
;; Connection to Emacs lost.
;; [
Error in function LISP::ASSERT-ERROR:  Short read: length=4191  pos=4093]

The function uses XLIB and I shortened it by "using" XLIB and changing
the xlib:<foo> calls to just <foo> calls.  It then compiled without
error.

So I looked around and found another piece of code with a long
function.  It is over 10000 characters.  The same thing happened:

* ;; Connection to Emacs lost.
;; [
Error in function LISP::ASSERT-ERROR:  Short read: length=13988  pos=4093]

The error occurs in read-next-form in swank.lisp.

Looks like the code isn't handling the transfer of more than one
pipe-buffer-full of data.

I'm using a very recent slime.

Fred Gilham                                         gilham at csl.sri.com
Behold, how good and pleasant it  is when brothers dwell in unity.  It
is like the  precious oil upon the head, running  down upon the beard,
upon the beard of Aaron, running  down on the collar of his robes.  It
is like the dew of Hermon,  which falls on the mountains of Zion.  For
there the LORD has commanded the blessing, life for evermore.  -Ps 133