[slime-devel] Re: HACKING

Luke Gorrie luke at bluetail.com
Mon Dec 22 08:30:32 UTC 2003

Helmut Eller <e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> Luke Gorrie <luke at bluetail.com> writes:
>
> > The idea of NO-APPLICABLE-METHOD was t'be sure that a "real"
> > definition would override the default one. Could we do this using
> > normal methods? (I'm not wise in the ways of CLOS.)
>
> I think so.  If we don't specialize any argument all other method
> would be more or equal specific.  More specific methods should be
> called first and equally specific methods redefine the default
> implementation.

The worry is we'll get a lot of "You're redefining FOO" warnings. The
reason I started using defgeneric+defmethod instead of defun+defun was
to avoid those (and also to keep the docstring).

But maybe it's nearly moot? We'll likely remove most of my first-cut
at multiprocessing, and it's the only stuff using default methods so
far.

-Luke