[slime-devel] HACKING

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Dec 17 21:54:19 UTC 2003

Luke Gorrie <luke at bluetail.com> writes:

> Ahoy,
>
> I have added a file called HACKING that's supposed to explain how to
> hack the code for people joining the project.
>
> Corrections welcome!

Nice document!

You write:

   If a
   reasonable default implementation can be provided, we do so in
   swank-backend.lisp by specializing NO-APPLICABLE-METHOD [or is that a
   bad idea? -luke].

I didn't even know about NO-APPLICABLE-METHOD :-).  But, I would
expect that the default implementation is added as method for the
generic function itself and not to NO-APPLICABLE-METHOD.

   Our current Elisp code sometimes calls SWANK-exported functions that
   are not defined by DEFSLIMEFUN, but by DEFGENERIC in
   swank-backend.lisp. [Is it just me that does this, and should I stop
   it? -luke]

We could invent a macro like DEFSLIMEGENERIC, or something with a
shorter name.  Probably not a bad idea, because some of the generic
functions are called in swank.lisp and others by Emacs directly.