[slime-devel] Re: Clicky things in the REPL.

Brian Downing bdowning at lavos.net
Tue Dec 16 23:23:11 UTC 2003

On Tue, Dec 16, 2003 at 09:51:52PM +0000, lawrence mitchell wrote:
> This has the advantage that one doesn't need to use regexps on
> the Emacs side to parse stuff (when most of the introspection
> capabilities are already gone), and one can add object-info for
> arbitrary types, e.g. CONSes or something.

One question I would have is, how is the object accessed once it's
clicked on?  I imagine CLIM just holds a (weak?) pointer to the object
in its presentation.  From emacs, you may see "#<FOO {40541D01}>", and
even know the address more concretely if its passed in some sort of
object-info, but as soon as GC happens, you're likely screwed.

One probably wants some sort of mapping in SWANK of all things that have
been sent with a "slime-presentation".  Only problem is, that you
probably want some sort of weak hash table so that you don't prevent the
objects from being GC'd.  Which of SLIME's lisps support weak
keys/values in hash tables?

-bcd