[slime-devel] Re: Error starting slime after update

Luke Gorrie luke at bluetail.com
Tue Dec 16 07:55:26 UTC 2003

Tim Lavoie <tim at fractaldragon.net> writes:

> I started tinkering with slime a little while back, and it had been
> working pretty well. I just replaced what I had (whoops) with what is
> now in CVS, with the "FAIRLY-STABLE" tag specified.

What version of XEmacs are you using, and do you know if it's got all
the major ("sumo") packages installed?

It's working for me with CMUCL 18e and both XEmacs 21.5-beta16 and
XEmacs 21.4-patch6.

> I get a couple of messages when I start slime:
>
> The first appears in the *Warnings* buffer:
>   (3) (error/warning) Error in process filter: (wrong-type-argument stringp nil)
>
> This one appears in the minibuffer:
>   itimer "itimer-0" signaled: (file-error "Cannot open load file" "lee-hook")

Could you try setting `debug-on-error' to true in Emacs? That should
give elisp backtraces -- please send them, they should indicate the
real problem.

> When I start, slime has wandered off into space, until I break
> out. Here's the CMUCL backtrace:

[...]

> 8: (ACCEPT-TCP-CONNECTION 8)

It looks like CMUCL is waiting for Emacs to connect with a socket,
but an error in the Elisp code has prevented it from doing so.

Cheers,
Luke