[slime-devel] sending form to *inferior-lisp* or *slime-repl*

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Mon Dec 15 14:49:12 UTC 2003

Nicolas Neuss <Nicolas.Neuss at iwr.uni-heidelberg.de> writes:

> Yes.  I have calculations which need some time and I want that information
> printed during the calculation is shown as soon as possible.

Ah, I completely misunderstood the original question.

Here are some reasons why the output does not show up immediately:

 (a) the redirected streams are fully buffered.  I think CMUCL's
     normal output stream is line buffer.

 (b) Emacs shows the output buffer only when an evaluation command is
     finished and only when there was actually some output.

(a) can be solved by inserting FORCE-OUTPUTs in the application code.
We could also change the buffering scheme of the stream, but a line
buffered stream to Emacs is probably rather slow.

There are various alternatives for (b):

 - we could display the output buffer at the beginning of each
   evaluation command.  But I think that would be annoying, especially
   when the evaluation produces no output.

 - display the output buffer every time a chunk of output arrives.
   This may also be annoying.  I wouldn't like it.

 - display the output buffer when the first chunk of output arrives
   and when the evaluation is completed.

 - a new evaluation command that displays the buffer at the beginning

Choose one variant and I will implement it.