[slime-devel] Re: Partial multiprocessing support on CMUCL

Luke Gorrie luke at bluetail.com
Mon Dec 15 10:28:01 UTC 2003

Helmut Eller <e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

> Hmm, not sure if I understand the problem.  I think, if every thread
> has it's own connection with a separate state machine and associated
> buffers, we can do almost everything like we do now.  We just have to
> make sure the we do it in the right buffer, something like per-session
> variables.  And of course, we need a way to allow the thread to
> initiate the new connection.

Perhaps I didn't understand the idea. I was thinking of "if ten
threads hit the debugger at once, we don't want the user to be
preempted with ten different debugger buffers".

But now I see the light! We could create ten debugger buffers, but not
actually pop them up unless it's from the nominated current/foreground
thread. Then the whole notion of foreground/background threads is just
a window-management issue, and doesn't involved any fancy mutex
hacking or any of that road to hell I embarked on over the weekend :-)

Sounds good so far :-)

-Luke