[slime-devel] OpenMCL

Sven Van Caekenberghe sven at beta9.be
Fri Dec 12 09:11:53 UTC 2003

Yesterday, we have been using SLIME on OpenMCL the whole day - and yes,
we are happy ! Thank you all.

However, there is a problem in the debugger connection in cvs head (as
compared to the version we checked out 2 days ago): an undefined
function like (foo) gives an (presumably emacs) error: error in process
filter: Assertion failed: (<= (length frames) maximum-length) - and as
far as we understand SLIME, everything is broken/lost then. It is a bit
hard to use SLIME without entering the lisp debugger ;-)

One of the reasons that we like SLIME so much is the fact that it
doesn't choke on asynchroneous output (as ILISP does): when working
with a multithreaded server that makes all the difference in the world.
The output that non-evaluator threads write to stdout goes to the
inferior lisp buffer, we can live with that, but maybe it would be
nicer if (optionally) that output was inserted in the normal SLIME REPL
buffer (maybe in some other color) - is that possible, maybe the
behavior is different on other platforms ?

Also, on one machine, some of the output is 'undecorated', on an other
it looks like this:

  ^@^@\213(:read-output "127.0.0.1 - - [Fri, 12 Dec 2003 08:51:02 GMT]
\"GET /ha-dynsite/webaction?action=show-current-calendar HTTP/1.1\" 200
-1
")

Where does the difference come from ? Are only some streams redirected
properly ?

Thx,

Sven