[slime-devel] Lispworks; Windows gotcha

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Wed Dec 10 13:44:54 UTC 2003

Alain.Picard at memetrics.com writes:

> Which means the current CREATE-SWANK-SERVER for lispworks will
> fail on Windows.  Now, I hate windows as much as the next guy,
> but this seems unnecessarily rude; I suggest one of the following things:
>
>  * revert to just comm:start-up-server.
>    This has the advantage that many users either need to start up
>    MP themselves later on.  Once comm:start-up-server-and-mp runs,
>    you can no longer launch MP yourself from a chosen entry point.
>    What was the rationale of using x-and-mp?

Nothing in particular.  The first example I found in the documentation
(for 4.2) used the mp function.

> But noone is actually listening on the socket. (as can be verified
> with telnet).   Clues?

Hmm... no.  The startup is a bit different if you use M-x slime: there
is no fixed port number; Emacs tells Lisp the name of a temporary file
and waits until Lisp writes the chosen port number of the server
socket into that file.  The file is then removed and the server socket
is closed after the first connection.

I reorganized startup code a bit: we use now comm:start-up-server and
the correct port number is written to the bootstrap file.  The new
version should work with M-x slime, but it's bit difficult to test
this with personal edition.

BTW, I've heard that Xanalys will/has/announced to/ release the source
of their editor.  Do you know any details?