[slime-devel] Re: Slime/SBCL/FreeBSD oddities

Luke Gorrie luke at bluetail.com
Fri Dec 5 17:19:29 UTC 2003

Raymond Wiker <Raymond.Wiker at fast.no> writes:

>  > What happens if you #+nil out this form in swank-sbcl.lisp?
>  >
>  >     (setf (sb-bsd-sockets:non-blocking-mode socket) t)
>
>         Works, thanks!
>
>         Is this the right solution, though? I'm thinking that it might
> be better to have a safe-read-form (or something) that recognises
> EAGAIN...

We do it like this in the CMUCL backend. It means that a
single-threaded Lisp will be blocked while it's in a dialogue with
Emacs. I think it's the Right Way.

It seems like the main alternative is to implicitly call the
SERVE-EVENT loop on EWOULDBLOCK. As an Erlang programmer this strikes
me as a Really Bad Idea, but it might be practical for others :-)

Cheers,
Luke