[slime-devel] SLIME on a local socket

Christian Lynbech christian.lynbech at ericsson.com
Fri Dec 5 15:43:08 UTC 2003

>>>>> "Helmut" == Helmut Eller <e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at> writes:

Helmut> I don't know why people are so keen to use a setup where the Lisp and
Helmut> Emacs are on different machines, but whenever I tried to do something
Helmut> like that (e.g, with remote-compile) it didn't work very well and I
Helmut> always run Emacs on the same machine.  Is this a feature we want to
Helmut> support or is this a would-be-nice-in-an-ideal-world thing?

Not a very good argument, but this is something that Franz' ELI does
out of the box.

More specific reasons could be that the machine on your desktop
doesn't have that much RAM, but you have server that has, so running
your development lisp process remotely makes your local machine suffer
less (I may be special, but with 32+ Mb emacs process and the CL based
eclipse window manager there is some fighting over RAM ressources).

It could also be that you were doing some cross-platform
developement. Ie. yuor desktop is an i386 but your target is sparc or
PowerPc.

Or Your server could have something specific software or information
installed or accessible that is important to your lisp application.

Paths is a problem, but the cases cited above will still be
interesting even if you had one siteglobal (automounted) shared
(home)directory where you kept your lisp files, in which case the path
problem kind of goes away.

Christian Lynbech       | christian #\@ defun #\. dk