[slime-devel] Re: New user, and keybindings revisited

Helmut Eller e9626484 at stud3.tuwien.ac.at
Thu Dec 4 14:05:09 UTC 2003

Luke Gorrie <luke at bluetail.com> writes:

> > Now we've also added a command that goes to the next definition (like
> > M-, in etags) on `C-M-.'.

C-M-. is currently broken.  My fault; will fix.

> Hmm, well, etags has C-M-. as `find-tag-regexp'. Conceivably we could
> do a command like that too.

If there only where a regexp library on the CL side :-)

> Whaddayareckon, can we push through a rebellion against etags
> bindings, or is resistance futile (and annoying)?

I like our current bindings.  I think I need "pop definition" (M-,)
more often than the "find next" command and "pop definition" should be
on the more convenient key.  After all, many symbols have only one
definition.  We also show all definitions in an extra buffer if there
are more than one; this makes the "find next" command less important.

OTOH, if we keep the current bindings we get discussions like this
one.  I'd say we add optional etags compatibility stuff, but make our
bindings the default.